As a mother, I no longer have a lot of time to myself. I have duties that must be done every. Single. Day. It is as if my life is on repeat. Same old routine every day.
Feed my son.
Change diapers and dirty clothes.
Put my son down to sleep. (He would NOT sleep on his own.)
Clean after my son’s mess.
I could go on and on but many mothers and stay-at-home moms know what I mean.
And not to mention I am also a wife, which translates to having another “baby” I must care for.
Any ladies raising a ‘grown child?’ 😀
Okay. Back to the topic.
What keeps me from becoming insane or a walking zombie, I always give myself some time to recharge and feel good. “Me” time is very important to me. I try to squeeze it at least 10 to 30 minutes in my every day schedule. Some of my favorite indulgences that I love to do are:
1. Take a bath– I know this is a favorite for many women and mothers out there. It really is relaxing. I would do this once a week. My husband would be with my son, while I grab my favorite book or if I don’t feel like reading I’ll use my phone. I’d also lit my favorite candle and fill my tube with warm water and throw in bath bombs. I’d also add two drops of my favorite essential oil, lavender. And if I feel like being extra special, I would add some colorful flowers to make my bath even more exciting! This is sooooo relaxing after a long day.
2. Spa day– I would invite a friend and get a facial and mani/pedi done. I would also get a back massage. (so effective for nursing moms with aching back)
3. Exercising– I love to exercise. It makes me feel so much better and energized. Plus, it’s also really good for your health!
4. Going out– once a week my husband and I would go out for dinner. I’d leave my son with my parents or my in-laws. This is a great way for my husband and I to bond, since I’m always with my son. Alone time with my hubby takes me back when it was just the two of us. Ah the old days. It’s always a day I look forward to.
5. Taking a nap– this helps me to rejuvenate for the day. I love napping when my son naps. This keeps me from being cranky, lazy or just tired to do anything. Plus, naps help reduce stress and motivates you to continue with your day. 🙂
6. Reading/Writing– I give myself some time to either read or write. I’d make myself a cup of coffee and snuggle under my blankets as I read or write. This helps me clear my mind out and tune in to something I’m interested in.
7. Watch a movie– My son usually falls asleep earlier than my husband and I. We take the advantage to watch a movie together. This also gives us some time alone. This is when I eat my favorite foods without being interrupted by my son. I can eat a chug of ice cream without my son trying to grab it from me. Ah motherhood is sweet.
In the long run, having time for yourself is very beneficial for your health, physically and mentally. Make this a necessity every day for yourself. Give yourself a break from life’s hectic demands and reward yourself. 10 or 30 minutes is not a lot to ask for. In the end, you deserve it for all your hard work.
So, how do you treat yourself some “me” time? I would love to hear from you! 🙂